14 September 2014

Theme it! 12 New Ideas for Unique Sewing & Craft Groups!




 Hello lovely readers,

I have been pondering a lot of late.  My youngest is getting ready to leave the nest and I have been thinking of new directions and new starts in life.  I have been a member of craft and sewing groups in the past of which many an hour was enjoyed, but alas study and work commitments got in the way of spending more time at these gatherings.  I am thinking that maybe it is time to seek out a group of fellow crafts people again to enliven that feeling of togetherness mingled with craft.  Most groups in my area are already themed as craft for charity, quilting or stitch and sew, welcoming to new members eagerly.  I thought to myself what other themes could elevate a sewing or craft group to new heights?  Do actual specialized groups exist within the already established sewing or quilting groups?  Maybe a monthly "themed" gathering would cater for specific needs of members.  Here are my ideas for a rejuvenated craft or sewing gathering!  

1.  Sh-Operation Craft:  Members can use only items from opportunity or thrift shops in their craft.  Experiment with up-cycling something old into something new!  You are being "green" crafters at the same time!




2.  Fix-it Sessions:  Use your expertise to help fellow members with a difficult project.  Make it a goal to help each other finish a "too hard" project by the end of the month.  Learn something new at the same time.

3.  Decor Makes:  Specialize in crafting lampshades, cushions, quilts and table linen. Have a handmade decor display at your next local show.



4.  Hello Dolly:  The name says it all.  Make a different type of doll each month.  Practice different techniques for facial features or hair styles.







5.  Doiley Devotees:  One close to my heart.  There are I'm sure, collectors of these little pieces of charming work out there. Make projects or gifts that enhance their beautiful handwork. Coming soon:  Doiley Daisy Pin tutorial!  

My Flutterbies tutorial

 6.   Passion for Fashion:  For dressmaking fans.  Each member could review a new dress pattern each month.  Have a glitter and glam fashion parade of your handmade fashions at the end of the year.  Vote for the easiest dress pattern, the best stretch pattern, the cutest kids fashion. 

Credit: studio7designs 2013 from Artfire


7.  Picture Perfect:  Using image transfers in your art.  Any project can become more personalized with a favorite image. Share ideas or experiment with transferring not just to fabric but to other surfaces also.

8. Label Makers:  Creative souls with lots of new ideas for quilt and craft labels.

9.  Go Retro!:  Be groovy baby and revisit crafts from the 60's and 70's.  I'm thinking tie-dyeing, macrame, rug hooking.  M mm, nice.

From doyoulovewhereyoulive.com

10.  It's Showtime!:  Make up projects from kits you have bought at recent craft and quilt shows.  Have a show and tell session and review kits and instructions with other members of the group. 

11.  Alphabet Sisters:  For those who love the written word or lettering and like to re-create them as stitcheries or applique. Try monograms, alphabets or poetry.  Create your own font and stitch it! 





12.  Sew Special Occasions:  Make gifts for birthdays, weddings and xmas.  Create a stockpile and have a trading table at a local event. 

 Have you chosen to specialize within your craft group or have you started a group with a unique theme?  I would love to hear about them. 


2 comments:

  1. i'm not in any craft groups, you know i'm a bit behind on the sewing and crafting capabilities but a friend and i are teaching ourselves to crochet. Its so much easier and fun to have someone do it with you isnt it. I'd love to tackle macrame next :) Thank you for linking up with us at Sunday Brunch again, nice to see you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great Bel to have someone to learn with. I have tried to teach myself to crochet, very unsuccessfully! I am on the verge of doing a class where I can ask for help if I am stuck! I am desperate to learn how to do Granny squares!

      Delete

I would love to hear your comments. Let me know your inspirations, share your thoughts and projects.