7 June 2014

Mini Quilts: Where size really does matter!

 
  
Do you want to exercise your quilting muscles, but life has gotten in the way and a large project is too daunting?  Appreciate the smaller things in life and try making a mini quilt.  Small area = small effort.  Or, if you want  to experiment and try a new block that looks tricky and challenging, do it on a smaller scale.   Mini quilts of course, require less materials than their larger cousins!  If you hanker for some expensive braid or thread and don't want to spend a fortune, then buy small and try it on a mini!  They can be personalized as a sweet gift for a special friend, who is sure to appreciate the effort that went into creating a such beautiful thing in a small package!

Mini quilts are economical on wall space and do not need to be stored away.  A lot of 'small' can look great on a wall -in your very own gallery. My mini quilts above, hang on a 1950's children's clothesline and were made with this in mind when calculating their size.  I had always wanted to do a super cute Sunbonnet Sue quilt but wanted to finish it like yesterday!  The welcome pineapple one was an experiment in making prairie points, on a small scale.  The sweet little basket one was to address my insatiable need to use embellishment on almost everything I make.  They were so easily quilted, without manipulating reams of fabric and batting through your machine.  Are you sold on making a mini?



.



Add texture with braids, ribbon, stitching and different fabric.

Mini art quilt, Maura's Dress
By Collette Copeland 

Necessary Comforts Mini Embroidered Art Quilt
By Victoria Gertenbach

Attic Window Quilt Shop




Make a more challenging block-remember your quilting muscles!  Teeny, tiny bow tie blocks would challenge me! 
By Annemarie S Yohnk on Etsy


By Calamity Kim


By Three Kitchen Fairies


Make a gift for someone special, share your feelings. Oh look, they are heart mini quilts! 

By Terri Stegmiller

8 comments:

  1. Love this idea! The last quilt I did was 2 years ago, a full size one made up of my son's old baby clothes. And they were of course all knit, which made them easy to stretch over his head, but a pain to quilt. I love the idea of mini quilts, and you have sent my brain racing with ideas for gifts I could make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Audrey, thanks so much for your lovely comment. I am so glad that the post inspired you to make a mini! The quilt you made of your son's baby clothes sounds gorgeous, but yes tricky to quilt. Good on you for tackling it. I would love to see any pics of your mini quilts when you have finished. Have fun! x Wendy

      Delete
  2. I love quilts! My grandma used to make them and I still keep some. I hope to make my own one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Masha, I hope you join the quilting brigade, it is very addictive! Mini quilts are a great way to start and you can really put your own stamp on them. Let me know how you go making your first one. x Wendy

      Delete
  3. Stunning work! I adore quilting and desperately want to learn. I have loads of books but haven't found the time to try between 6 kids and a blog! Bucket list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always said I would wait until I retired to learn to quilt, but went to a beginners class and was hooked! Thanks for your lovely comment. If you can balance writing a blog and six kids-you are amazing!

      Delete
  4. Some people are just so so so clever! Beautiful selection you've made here. i do love quilting. i love the texture ones. Thanks for sharing and thank you for linking up for Sunday Brunch (sorry a bit late this week ... hours in a day :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bel. They really are great for getting a taste of quilting and I keep looking back at the mini's displayed on the wall. They make want to start sewing now!

      Delete

I would love to hear your comments. Let me know your inspirations, share your thoughts and projects.